Job Title: Accountant (3 Job Vacancies)
Organization: Rakai Health Sciences Program (RHSP)
Duty Station: Uganda
Rakai Health Sciences Program is a collaborative Bio-medical research and service delivery organization. It strives to improve the quality of life of the local population through a combination of community-based research, curative services and prevention strategies in the districts of Greater Masaka region in Uganda.
Job Summary: The accountant will provide timely and accurate support to the finance manager in all accounting works
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- To develop, enhance and implement effective accounting SOPs including sound internal controls, documentation, and to ensure adherence to company financial and non financial policies/ procedures.
- To perform field site visits to ascertain the financial capacity of the potential implementing partners organizations or CBOs and prepare pre-grant assessment reports for approval by the heads of Grants, Finance, Programs and Management.
- To review accountabilities and other supporting documentation to ensure adherence to financial reporting requirements and financial policy/manual procedures; to follow up and resolve any issues arising with implementing partner organizations or CBOs and ensure that their books of accounts are aligned to the signed MOUs.
- To conduct field monitoring visits to implementing partner organizations or CBOs and prepare monitoring visit reports as well as discuss the findings of the monitoring visits with the staff of the implementing partner organizations or CBOs for corrective action.
- To demonstrated leadership and management skills, including the ability to lead through influence and to utilize talent and experience of finance assistants and administrators. To provide technical support to the team in finance.
- To manage the preparation of accurate and timely donor reports and Management reports. To conduct performance analysis that would support decision making.
- To monitor performance against budget to ensure all exceptions and variances are explained and duly approved by the donor and the leadership. To provide analysis reports to aid decision making on budget reallocations and redirections where necessary.
- Preparation of audit schedules, financial reports, responsible for audit processes, coordination with the external auditors for all project audits.
- To oversee and support the reconciliation of banks, balance sheet, General Ledger and the respective subsidiary and control accounts.
- To support the Finance Manager and Head of finance on supervision of finance assistants and administrators as well as performing any other duties that may be assigned.
- To provide technical support to programs and other support departments in the use of the accounting system and other finance matters.
- To analyse entries (for example payments, accountabilities/actuals, JVs and any other financial transactions) batched/entered by the assistant accountants for accuracy and proper accounting; and subsequently make the relevant postings.
- To review documents submitted for payment and ensure completeness, accuracy, value for money, and ensure compliance to donor requirements.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Commerce or Accounting from a reputable University
- Full professional accounting qualification (ACCA or CPA).
- At least three years of working experience as an accountant in a reputable organization;
- Knowledge in the use of Accounting and Microsoft Office Packages, particularly Navision.
- Good performance in mathematics at O and A level
- Thorough knowledge of accounting, finance principles and procedures and attention to detail;
- A high degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience as a team player
- Experience leading teams
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified candidates possessing the above attributes can send their applications including a cover letter, latest Copy of CV (with 3 referees), copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the HR Manager to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please kindly indicate the Job title under subject of the mail. Only Online applications will be considered
Deadline: Friday, 6th September 2019
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Rakai Health Sciences Program. Any form of lobbing and canvassing will lead to disqualification