Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Organization: Clarke International University (CIU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Vice Chancellor
Clarke International University (CIU) (Formerly, International Health Sciences University (IHSU) in Uganda is a University that is licensed by the Uganda National Council for Higher Education (NCHE [UI.PL 013]). CIU is a non-residential university offering health sciences and business courses and grooms students to become tomorrow’s leaders nationally and internationally. CIU is currently situated on the third floor at International Hospital Kampala (IHK) in Namuwongo.
Job Summary: The Human Resources Officer will spearhead Human Resources best practices and objectives to provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture which emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and, the highest professional standards within a safe and secure environment in compliance with the current labour and employment legislation of Uganda. The highest principles of equality and ethical standard will be adhered to as specified by the Human Resources Management profession.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guide management on issues related to human resources planning, documentation, review and implementation.
- Coordinate staff recruitment and the selection process including: placement of vacancy notices; receipt of applications and shortlisting of candidates; following up with references; verifying of documentation; and acting as secretary to appointment committees.
- Manage new staff entry and supervise all administrative procedures therein including; in collaboration with supervisors review and revise Job Descriptions, and maintenance of complete employment files for all staff.
- Carry out exit interviews for staff leaving and giving prompt feedback to management to ensure continuous improvement of systems and policies in the organization.
- Advise HOD’s and staff on human resources issues in accordance with strategy, policies and best employment practices.
- Identify upcoming job openings in coordination with the respective Heads of Departments (HODs;
- Review all draft job openings and conduct Human Resources assessments of applications, and monitor the recruitment processes & actions in liaison with the respective Heads of Department/SMT;
- Taking charge of individual staff communication, including role change, disciplinary, promotion/demotion, job offers, updates, salary changes etc.
- Negotiate the staff medical /compensation schemes with prospective service providers in consultation with the SMT.
- To lead the identification and coordination of staff continuing professional development (CPD) and how best to deliver this for all staff.
- Track Staff/employees contractual periods & expiry;
- To supervise administration of the staff payroll in consultation with the Finance Department.
- To assist staff who qualify for and who wish to arrange salary loans from financial institutions in conjunction with the Finance Department and Vice Chancellor.
- Provide support and initial counseling advice to staff who have performance related obstacles.
- Review the applications of the Internship Programmes, specifically handling the correspondence with applicants;
- Provide induction orientation programme and briefing to new employees/staff members;
- Oversee Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) issues and ensure appropriate insurances are in place;
- Facilitate the inclusion of new staff into the appropriate medical coverage plan and Group Accident Scheme (GPA);
- To be responsible for organizing social events and other staff related social programmes;
- Perform any other duties which may be determined from time to time by the Vice Chancellor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management. Bachelor’s Degree: in Human Resources Management, Finance, Organizational Psychology, Business Administration or, related field.
- At least three years of work experience in Human Resources Management.
- A degree and/or bias for a postgraduate qualification in Human Resources Management.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of relevant national and international labour laws
- The ability to display and adhere to a code of absolute confidentiality
- Ability to work independently with a high level of self-motivation
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Basic counseling skills
- An analytical, problem solving and creative work approach
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
- Effective public relations and public speaking skills (sound people management skills)
- Good understanding of University Structures and functions
- Conflict resolution skills (high level)
- Strategic thinking
- Willingness and, ability to learn
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit the following, (please note that incomplete applications will not be considered):
One-page summary of your qualifications and experience, indicating how you meet the expected skillset and competencies for the position and: your motivation for applying (your signature is required). Also, quote the source of the advertisement i.e. theugandanjobline.com
- Your Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English (please include your current residence address, telephone number, and email address, date of birth, gender and nationality);
- Copies of Academic papers (preferably certified Academic documents are required)
- Names and full contact details of at least three (03) referees.
- Use the address: The Human Resources, Clarke International University (CIU)
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, 16th August 2019 by 17:00hrs