Job Title: Internal Audit Manager (IAM)
Organization: GiveDirectly (GD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Kiryandongo, Bukedea (flexible), Uganda
Reports to: Country Director (CD)
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $200m since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 125,000 families, and launched offices in 7 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement and GD’s leading role within it have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our field team. Our culture is blunt, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We recruit candidates from top organizations across all industries – our team has hailed from consultancies, investment banks, start-ups, non-profits, and government to name a few. We value ability and willingness to learn over years of experience. We offer a competitive salary and benefits and performance-based bonuses.
Job Summary: The Internal Audit Manager (IAM) will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly delivers a gold-standard product to donors and recipients. The Internal Audit Manager will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground for the Country Director (CD) and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on team performance as well as field successes and challenges. The Internal Audit Manager will work entirely independently and separately from the rest of the field teams, to monitor any irregularities in team performance or behaviour. The role will reward exceptional personnel management, organizational skills, high-quality judgment on operational challenges, and a strong commitment towards driving both team and individual productivity and quality.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and keeping the Country Director (CD) Informed of the required key process improvements
- Investigating and reporting any identified cases of fraud and bribery by GD staff and or recipient(s).
- Exercising judgment and escalating recurring issues or questions to CD to align on approach.
- Shadowing staff in order to identify areas for improvement and professional development, particularly during staff training.
- Providing the lead in examining the quality of the Field team’s data against set GD data quality standards and report any cases of inconsistency.
- Ensure all allowance requests and spent allowance requests are submitted correctly and promptly
- Ensure timesheets are accurately submitted in a timely fashion
- Resolve miscellaneous equipment requests
- Conduct new IA FOs hiring includes executing rigorous interviews, own team on-boarding
- Promote effective team culture by encouraging recognition of positive achievements, planning team events periodically, and other team-building initiatives
- Any other duties relevant to function as may be assigned by the CD
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant professional field
- Work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks.
- Previous experience in a management position desirable.
- Working proficiency in English, Kiswahili with excellent communication skills
- Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing junior staff
- Exceptional ability to solve complex operational challenges in the field
- Alignment with GiveDirectly core values and commitment to advancing GD’s mission
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and team-player mentality
- Strong interest in being the engine of the day-to-day fieldwork
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating about gaps and risks
- Strong relationship building skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively to external parties
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications online at the link below.
NB: Applications at GiveDirectly are received on a Rolling Basis.
Deadline: 15th November 2019.
- Address Kampala, Kiryandongo, Bukedea, Uganda