Job Title: Procurement Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Working in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has applied market-driven solutions to communities across the country, equipping individuals and households with the knowledge, skills and confidence to generate improvements in their access to markets, livelihoods, health, nutrition, and security, in order to improve their overall resilience.
Job Summary: The Procurement Officer is responsible for carrying out all procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ operation. Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics, the Procurement Officer is very instrumental in supporting program activities and in ensuring effectiveness and efficiency in delivery of services to the organization. The procurement officer is expected to do field visits to support field teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily coordination of Mercy Corps procurement activities;
- Have a full understanding of Mercy Corps procurement policies, regulations and forms.
- Assist Program and operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation;
- Along with other procurement team members, coordinate all MC tenders and tender processes ensuring transparency, competitiveness and compliance to Mercy Corps and Donor regulations.
- Be the facilitator to the contracts committee ensuring all processes and committee meetings are documented, transaction documents properly reviewed, approved and filed in accordance with standard operating procedure.
- Collects quotations, pricelists and bids from the market to facilitate procurements as per Mercy Corps standard operating procedures and policies.
- Keep the procurement masterlist database up to date at all times. Prepare standard or adhoc reports as requested.
- Ensure proper use of procurement paperwork including Purchase Request, Request for Quotations, Bid Analysis, Purchase Order, Service Contract, Goods Received Note and Payment Request. Forms are completed to MC standards.
- Interact with service providers, contractors, and other partners in coordination with the Program & Supervisor to ensure relationship is managed;
- Sensitize vendors on Mercy Corps procurement procedures and advocate for high level of integrity.
- Provide status reports on ongoing procurement transactions to respective programs.
- Coordinate deliveries with requestors and vendors.
- Maintain the filing of both hard copy and soft copy of the ongoing and complete Purchase Requests with all the supporting documents as required by the Mercy Corps Procurement Policy.
- All incidents, procurement related, supplier related reports are captured and properly filed.
- Enforce adherence to procurement thresholds, time –to-award timelines and approval authority matrix.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC.
- Ensure that all Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- In cooperation with financial management staff, help to ensure compliance with established financial management rules and procedures for all MC procurement and personnel.
- Maintain a file on market prices for commonly bought items, and continuously review for any changes in market prices.
- Maintain and update Supplier Database.
- Support in establishment of Master Supplier agreements, especially for commonly used items, with interval reviews for any market changes.
- Maintain the integrity of the segregation of duties in the procurement cycle.
- Orient all Mercy Corps employees to Procurement procedures as needed. Assists in training staff on procurement policies and procedures.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Field travel up to 30% will be required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Asset, Warehousing and Commodity aspects;
- Along with warehouse in charge, oversee activities associated with the delivery and receipt of goods/commodities from vendors to the office and to different planned field locations are properly done.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse on delivery of items including completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites.
- Assists with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement. Receive and track entry of all procured assets into the required tools. Notify the Asset Controller when expecting receipt of assets.
- Maintain strict adherence to MC and relevant donor asset and warehouse policies and procedures.
- Adhere to proper goods receiving, storage and warehousing procedures.
- Complete required and customary documentation for shipments to Uganda such as waybills, bills of lading, customs declarations.
- With the warehouse in charge, ensure WH is notified on time on the arrival of supplies including commodities and assets.
- All other activities to ensure the smooth and consistent delivery of goods and supplies to offices and/or distributions points.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Procurement Officer job placement hold a Degree in Logistics and Procurement Management
- Three years’ experience in logistics and procurement with strong organizational skills
- Ability to maintain the procurement and logistics filing system,
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
- Microsoft Office computer skills and experience with using email.
- Ability to communicate in English.
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision
- Proven track record of highest personal integrity
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications through email to email@example.com addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Subject of email/envelope should include the position you are applying for.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 11th October 2019