Job Title: Youth to Work Programme 2019 (Several No Experience Jobs)
Organization: Standard Chartered Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Standard Chartered PLC is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London, England. It operates a network of more than 1,200 branches and outlets (including subsidiaries, associates and joint ventures) across more than 70 countries and employs around 87,000 people. It is a universal bank with operations in consumer, corporate and institutional banking, and treasury services. Despite its UK base, it does not conduct retail banking in the UK, and around 90% of its profits come from Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
The Youth to Work Programme 2019
Standard Chartered Bank in partnership with Challenges Uganda launched a 3-month youth employability programme under its Futuremakers initiative dubbed Youth to Work Programme. At Standard Chartered, they believe everyone deserves the opportunity to learn, earn and grow. Globally, more than 200 million young people often disproportionately impacted by the challenges of inequality are out of work or live in low-income poverty, and that’s just not good enough. With the Futuremakers by Standard Chartered initiative, the bank invites disadvantaged young people especially girls and the visually impaired to gain new skills and expertise to improve their chances of getting a job or starting their own business. The objective of the Youth to Work programme is to position and equip young people with skills and opportunities to create economic and employment changes across the economy for sustainable and measurable impact. In this regard, young people will become implementers of change, rather than standalone programme beneficiaries. Through a 3-month training, youth will be able to develop & refine their skills, work with inspiring entrepreneurs, acquire a Level 5 certificate from the Chartered Management Institute and help drive business performance of an SME.
- A free comprehensive 1- 2-week training program in professional consulting and business improvement skills, using Chartered Management Institute learning modules
- Access to best-practice resources to guide you on placement
- Ongoing training, mentoring and support from Challenges during your enterprise placement
- Unprecedented opportunity to gain valuable insight into all areas of an enterprise and work alongside their senior management team to develop an action plan
- An opportunity to develop your current skill set with the view to improving your employability after the programme
- The opportunity to complete an internationally-recognised Chartered Management Institute qualification Level 5 professional qualification to accredit your new skills after successful completion of the program.
- A monthly stipend to cover expenses related to your placement.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The following eligibility criteria applies to all young professionals seeking to participate in the Youth to Work Programme;
- Be between 21 to 30 years of age
- Have an understanding of business and finance for business, demonstrated through previous work experience and/or hold a relevant university degree
- Relevant work experience including previous internship, voluntary work etc.
- Good communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Interest in small business development, enterprises and entrepreneurship
- Ability to travel to training and placement
- Ability to commit to a 3-month full-time placement (November 2019 – January 2020) and 1-2 weeks training
- Must be fluent in both English and Luganda. Swahili is an advantage
- Based in Kampala
Applications for Youth to Work Programme are selected on a competitive basis, and should you meet the criteria you will be invited for a selection day that will be communicated to you. If selected, you will be expected to:
- Travel to and from the business placement location as well as the training place
- Commit 100% of your time during the placement.
- You will be held to a code of conduct throughout the program placement, which will be made available to you at the selection day.
The placement is not a paid position, although a small stipend is offered to help with travel costs during the 3-month placement.
How to Apply
There are two ways of applying:
- Click here to complete the online form; or
- Click here to download and complete the form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure that before filling this form, you have thoroughly read the application information.
Answer all questions sincerely and to the best of your knowledge, incomplete forms will not be considered.
For both, please attach your CV (maximum 2 pages) and any relevant academic documents to this application when submitting.
Deadline: 15th September 2019